Food Safety & Compliance
The SC Department of Agriculture Food Safety & Compliance Program ensures that foods are manufactured and marketed under safe and sanitary conditions through routine surveillance inspections and audits. Inspectors ensure that food is pure and wholesome, safe to eat, and properly labeled according to current laws and requirements.
Food Safety & Compliance Services
- Review and verify food product labels for compliance with current laws and regulations (including net weight, allergen disclosure, ingredients, manufacturer’s information, and nutritional facts).
- Sanitation inspections of warehouses and distribution facilities.
- Non-meat manufacturers and processors inspections.
- Inspections for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under federal contract including Seafood and Juice Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HAACP) inspections.
- Provide guidance to small prospective wholesale food manufacturers.
- Acid (jams & jellies), Acidified (pickled foods), and Low Acid (retorts/thermal processed) food regulations enforcement.
- Seizure of any and all food found or suspected to be adulterated or unsafe for human consumption through embargo powers.
- Work closely with SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, SC Meat and Poultry Inspection, SC Department of Natural Resources, FDA, USDA, and other state and federal agencies.